2024 Already A Bloodbath

We’re just about through the first month of 2024 and already we’ve seen thousands of people being laid off from various companies within the tech and gaming space. Recently Microsoft has culled roughly 1900 people from their positions. Hitting many areas within the gaming section of Microsoft, Blizzard, and Activision. These cuts affected many departments that oversaw some key areas, like customer service, Overwatch artists and so much more. It’s kind of boggling that companies would do this as a measure to ensure a stronger quarter, which will keep the shareholders happy. The people who depend on the jobs are far from being happy and rightfully so as they face a job market that also has been hit with layoffs and hiring freezes. I can only hope that those affected will be able to find a new position in a different company.

Bellular breaks a lot of this down.

It has been sad to see so many developers laid off over the last 3 months of 2024 and not what anyone wanted to see at all.

I feel this was inevitable though as during the pandemic and the lockdowns in 2020 and 2021, many game developers were hired because they were needed but now they are not and in some cases, some developer companies are losing money, and lay-offs have to happen.

I feel for those who do get laid off and hope they find a new job in another company.

1 Like